- 10:28 pm Saturday, October 18th, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
My full column on Georgia Tech’s 48-43 loss to North Carolina will be posted soon. Until then, here are my three “short takes” on the game.
UPDATE: Click here for a link to the full column:
1. Tech’s defense gets an “F”: I know Georgia Tech has expressed confidence in defensive coordinator Ted Roof, but the Jackets struggled again, and you have to wonder if this is really just a case of a team being weak and undermanned up front. Before the third quarter was over, North Carolina already had five touchdowns, 424 yards in offense (259 passing) and a [More]
- 6:53 pm Saturday, October 18th, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — One week ago, Georgia Tech was coming off impressive victories over Virginia Tech and Miami and appeared in control in the ACC Coastal Division. Then the Yellow Jackets lost at home to Duke, and the noise and public doubt returned.
What Jackets will show up tonight? Tech plays a team it should beat, North Carolina, even if winning on the road sometimes is problematic. The Tar Heels lost four straight and their only two wins this season have come over Liberty and San Diego State.
Paul Johnson is an offensive coach. North Carolina is a defensive wreck.
The Tar [More]
- 5:50 pm Saturday, October 4th, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
When the a preseason poll of media members projected Georgia Tech to finish in fifth place in the ACC Coastal Division, Yellow Jackets coach Paul Johnson was emotionally crushed.
Johnson actually used the prediction as a punchline. That should have been expected by anybody who knows: 1) The coach; 2) History.
“They haven’t been right yet, so what makes them so smart this time?” Johnson said.
Disclaimer: I didn’t vote in the preseason poll, which projected the Coastal standings as: Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Virginia. But I did have the Jackets finishing 5-3 in the ACC and [More]
- 4:42 pm Saturday, September 13th, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
Here’s my three short takes on Tech’s win.
1. BAD SIGNS, MAN: This is the shakiest 3-0 team I’ve ever seen. The Jackets led 35-10 but allowed four straight touchdowns to open the second half and fell behind 38-35. This came against a team that — great 1-AA resume not withstanding — Tech should handle, especially this being their third relative warmup before the ACC season. Only an overturn on replay that gave Tech the ball with 4:12 left followed by a remarkable 13-yard touchdown pass from Justin Thomas to Deon Hill with [More]
- 11:29 am Saturday, September 13th, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
Hello. I have nothing else to write at this time about Bruce Levenson, Danny Ferry and the Hawks. Let’s say we break this up with some actual sports.
For the third time this season, we ask: Is Georgia Tech ready for the ACC season? The Yellow Jackets play their third non-conference game of the season against Georgia Southern today (noon, Fox Sports South). They’re 2-0 after wins over Wofford (38-19) and Tulane (38-21) but it both games struggled in the first half and last week at Tulane fumbled twice in their first three possessions.
This game is different in that Tech might [More]
- 2:28 pm Wednesday, February 5th, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
If we used recruiting “rankings” as a gauge — and I put rankings in quotes because there’s nothing official or impactful about what Scout, Rivals or Creepy Bob from Cedartown think – Georgia Tech pretty much stinks at this recruiting thing. As of this typing, the Yellow Jackets’ recruiting class Wednesday was ranked only 46th by Rivals, 54th by Scout and 60th by 247 Sports (behind Kansas, Marshall, Iowa State, Rutgers, Duke and apparently most of the free world).
It’s no secret that Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson is not a fan of these rankings, nor the respective site’s “star” rankings [More]