- 10:28 pm Saturday, October 18th, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
My full column on Georgia Tech’s 48-43 loss to North Carolina will be posted soon. Until then, here are my three “short takes” on the game.
UPDATE: Click here for a link to the full column:
1. Tech’s defense gets an “F”: I know Georgia Tech has expressed confidence in defensive coordinator Ted Roof, but the Jackets struggled again, and you have to wonder if this is really just a case of a team being weak and undermanned up front. Before the third quarter was over, North Carolina already had five touchdowns, 424 yards in offense (259 passing) and a [More]
- 6:53 pm Saturday, October 18th, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — One week ago, Georgia Tech was coming off impressive victories over Virginia Tech and Miami and appeared in control in the ACC Coastal Division. Then the Yellow Jackets lost at home to Duke, and the noise and public doubt returned.
What Jackets will show up tonight? Tech plays a team it should beat, North Carolina, even if winning on the road sometimes is problematic. The Tar Heels lost four straight and their only two wins this season have come over Liberty and San Diego State.
Paul Johnson is an offensive coach. North Carolina is a defensive wreck.
The Tar [More]
- 3:56 pm Thursday, October 16th, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
With Mississippi State ranked No. 1, the Kansas City Royals going to the World Series and the usually profitable Weekend Predictions struggling in the first half of this economic season — there’s hope: I’m in the NFC South with the Bucs and the Georgia state ethics commission — let me stall a paragraph before getting to the uncertainty surrounding this week’s featured event: Arkansas vs. No Todd Gurley again.
Down in Tallahassee, home of the police force with selective investigations and future Baltimore Ravens executive Jimbo Fisher, No. 2 Florida State faces No. 5 Notre Dame. It’s such a big event [More]
- 7:53 am Wednesday, October 15th, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
I understand Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher’s desire to stand up for his guy. But at what point does even he realize how silly he sounds?
In regards to more than 950 items with quarterback Jameis Winston’s authenticated signature being claimed by a company, James Spence Authentication, Fisher told media in Tallahassee Tuesday. “Feel very good. Talked to [Jameis] and everything, people have talked to the owners of the company and different people, from what I understand. We’ll see.”
More: “He’s never taken a dime for anything. He’s signed thousands of things. I mean, the guy sits for an hour and a [More]
- 7:14 pm Thursday, October 9th, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
Welcome back to Weekend Predictions and Occasional Spectacular Grease Fires, Inc., where we will vigorously defend your right to deduct all incorrect financial assumptions that the Falcons’ defense might someday force a punt but never will defend Adrian Peterson, who is alleged to have pilfered donations meant for his fraud foundation to fund an orgy, leading to the question, “Wait. Hookers are deductible? Or does that go under “miscellaneous business expense” with printer ink, desk chairs and Swedish independent contractors?
More on A.P.’s option offense later.
But first, we go to the big story: The End of the World.
There was an incorrect [More]
- 12:19 am Sunday, October 5th, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
Thought Georgia Tech’s win at Virginia Tech was impressive two weeks ago? The Jackets did something even more impressive Saturday night, following up that performance with a 28-17 win over Miami.
Here’s a link to my column off the game.
And below are my three “Short Takes” on the game:
1. DEFENSE: This might be the first time Georgia Tech’s defense has ever been one of the short takes … well, at least in a positive way. The Jackets allowed Miami to drive for long touchdowns on two of its first three possessions, but gave up only three points the rest of [More]
- 5:50 pm Saturday, October 4th, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
When the a preseason poll of media members projected Georgia Tech to finish in fifth place in the ACC Coastal Division, Yellow Jackets coach Paul Johnson was emotionally crushed.
Johnson actually used the prediction as a punchline. That should have been expected by anybody who knows: 1) The coach; 2) History.
“They haven’t been right yet, so what makes them so smart this time?” Johnson said.
Disclaimer: I didn’t vote in the preseason poll, which projected the Coastal standings as: Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Virginia. But I did have the Jackets finishing 5-3 in the ACC and [More]
- 3:28 pm Thursday, October 2nd, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
As the Falcons go into their fifth game still looking for a defense, or even a speed bump, or even just a good joke to tell a receiver during a pass route on the chance that he might laugh and fall down — hey, how about setting up a lounge in the secondary with a two-drink minimum? — it’s worth noting Sunday is (and I’m not making this up, unlike most of what you read here): National Do Something Nice Day.
This is the Falcons’ week! The only thing more appropriate for the defense would be National Grease Fire Day.
The Falcons [More]
- 4:28 pm Thursday, September 18th, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
Before continuing with our investment season, which has been quite profitable if you discount the last three weeks and 35 picks and the fact it’s really hard to handicap NFL games when you’re not sure which team has more players in leg chains and how many times the invertebrate commissioner is going to stick his finger in the air (editors made me type “air”; my mind was thinking somewhere else), here’s this week’s legal update:
Roger Goodell has placed three highly paid dunderheads on the NFL’s double-secret Exempt/Commissioner’s Permission List, which almost nobody knew even existed until about 10 [More]
- 4:42 pm Saturday, September 13th, 2014 by Jeff Schultz
Here’s my three short takes on Tech’s win.
1. BAD SIGNS, MAN: This is the shakiest 3-0 team I’ve ever seen. The Jackets led 35-10 but allowed four straight touchdowns to open the second half and fell behind 38-35. This came against a team that — great 1-AA resume not withstanding — Tech should handle, especially this being their third relative warmup before the ACC season. Only an overturn on replay that gave Tech the ball with 4:12 left followed by a remarkable 13-yard touchdown pass from Justin Thomas to Deon Hill with [More]