Posted: 2:28 pm Wednesday, February 5th, 2014

Tech’s talent level? Just the facts (no spin)

By Jeff Schultz

Tech's Paul Johnson doesn't think highly of recruiting rankings. (Johnny Crawford/AJC)

Tech’s Paul Johnson doesn’t think highly of recruiting rankings. (Johnny Crawford/AJC)

If we used recruiting “rankings” as a gauge — and I put rankings in quotes because there’s nothing official or impactful about what Scout, Rivals or Creepy Bob from Cedartown think – Georgia Tech pretty much stinks at this recruiting thing. As of this typing, the Yellow Jackets’ recruiting class Wednesday was ranked only 46th by Rivals, 54th by Scout and 60th by 247 Sports (behind Kansas, Marshall, Iowa State, Rutgers, Duke and apparently most of the free world).

It’s no secret that Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson is not a fan of these rankings, nor the respective site’s “star” rankings of players, and I can’t really say I blame him. The Jackets appeared to have a solid recruiting class, at least from the standpoint of having filled needs (six offensive linemen and four defensive backs, plus a wide receiver Qua Searcy, who can play multiple positions, including safety).

It’s also safe to assume that Johnson is sensitive to how the program may or may not be perceived, and the potential ripple effect of that in recruiting.

I’ll focus more on that in a column, which will be posted later on MyAJC.com. But here’s a snippet of some comments from Johnson when he was asked about perception of the talent level in his program.

Johnson: “This is my view. If you go back and look for the last six years, there’s four teams in the ACC who’ve won more games than all of the others. Those teams are Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech. And that’s my view of the star system. So if our recruiting is so bad, and that is so accurate, then we must be great coaches. And from what I read from you guys (media) I don’t believe that. You can’t have it both ways. So that’s the facts.

“That’s not spin. That’s just facts. So you can write whatever you want. But that’s the numbers that I would be concerned about.”

So, OK, you meanies, here are the numbers Johnson was referencing.

• Top four overall records of ACC teams since 2008: Florida State 61-20, Virginia Tech 57-24, Clemson 54-26, Georgia Tech 48-32.

• Top four conference records since 2008: Florida State and Virginia Tech 35-13, Clemson 34-14, Georgia Tech 31-17.

• Best/most rankings finishes: Florida State: two top-10 finishes, 5 top-25s in the last six years; Clemson and Virginia Tech  one top-10 finish and four top-25s; Georgia Tech one top-10 and two top-25s.

Just the facts. No spin.

I’ll be back later with the full column.

• EARLIER: Signing day advice: Proceed with caution

• COMPLETE RECRUITING COVERAGE: Go to AJC.com/s/sports/recruiting

TheD1Guru
TheD1Guru

Tech's talent level? There is no talent there especially not enough to win big. All I hear are excuses about why they can't compete. Forget about who comes in 4th place...This isn't NASCAR and we aren't battling for point totals!!! Will someone on that staff please compete on the recruiting trail!!!! Clown outfit.

DisgustedFan

CPJ is such a whiney crybaby -- that is part of the dislike most of the ATL has for him

And his offense is a joke

JaySly
JaySly

paul johnson is tired of all the disrespect from the media and fans---tech better come up with a lot more money to keep him around--if not, he'll hit the road

DisgustedFan

I mean likes it or not -- typo

The AJC and sports talk media has been fair with CPJ for what he has given them back in return.

UGA is looked on more favorably cause they are more relevant and they have a face of the program who is taken more seriously than this amateur CPJ and his amateurish system

DisgustedFan

And, it is part of CPJ's job to communicate with the media whether he lies it or not

DisgustedFan

GT is nothing but a glorified HS program at this point n time -- there are easily a dozen HS football coaches in the state of Georgia who could do better than what CPJ has done at Tech.

DisgustedFan

No one cares much about what CPJ thinks at this point -- he doesn't like anybody and no one likes having him around.

He has brought the GT football program to complete irrelevance

The offense he runs is not football

gtcaryd

ThomAss, which end of you is the crotch and which is sniffer?

DawgNole September 5th, 2012  5:22 pm

“I’m on a Tech blog because I follow Tech and pull for the Jackets in all games except those with UGA and FSU.”

DawgNole January 4th, 2013 6:13 pm

"Half of me pulled for the Dawgs, half for the Noles–depending on the game situation. Mixed feelings, torn, and still don’t know who I’d pull for if they play again."

DawgNole at 8:00 p.m. Dec. 6, 2013

“True that, TB--then and now.”

DawgNole January 5th, 2013 10:38 pm

_________________________________________________

“You’re the only one who appears to have an issue with that.”

_________________________________________________

Swamp Thing September 3rd, 2012 4:54 pm

“DawgNole (which end is the Dawg and which end is the Nole?)”

ronaldtallon
ronaldtallon

Well I definitely went to GT and I know darn well Tech would be a lot better if Mark Richt were our coach.  Not close.   With exactly the same players.

slydawg
slydawg

If Georgia and Georgia Tech could do a 1 for 1 exchange of Head Coaches, but keep the staffs in place, you might see better results at both schools.

AugustaJacket

@ThomasBrown :  "Excuse me, what do you know about it, someone who went there you know ?"

_________________________________________________________________________

If going to GT is a prerequisite for posting any data pertaining to GT's academics on these blogs, then you need to quit as well.

I am positive you never went to GT.

AugustaJacket

@ThomasBrown :  "Neither one of you went to Georgie tek, yet you both spend all day every day defending the school, talking about how great the school is, how wonderful the # 36 best college is for school.

Excuse me, what do you know about it, someone who went there you know ?"

_____________________________________________________________________________

Let's just put it this way.  I went to a school tougher than either GT or uga.  If you have a problem with a Service Academy education, go ahead and say so now.  Why is it important that I have attended GT in order for me to trumpet how great a school GT is?

ThomasBrown, you are a moronic imbecile that wants to denigrate GT academics, yet strings together this doozy of a "sentence:"  "Latest DOE Federal graduation rate, giving Georgie tek the same 6 years as every other school to actually graduate the black scholarship football recruit to Georgie tek."

If that's what a uga education did for you, then the entire English department needs to be fired.

Keep trying. You really do suck at trolling.

DawgNole

In case you didn't see my reply to your previous post, AJ, here it is again (I'm sure TB will be delighted to swallow it twice):

I see you're fighting the good fight there, AJ. It will require patience and persistence, but honesty (something ThomAss knows nothing about) will prevail. I've been fighting that fight for a few years now--simply because I can't resist slapping down liars on blogs. One thing I do keep in mind while continuing to expos his condescending azz is PaulinNH's observation a few months ago:

PaulinNH at 2:45 p.m. Oct. 27, 2013

@DawgNole
The problem trying to reason with an insane person (Thomas Brown) is they don't realize they are crazy

AugustaJacket

@ThomasBrown "and that in the classrooms in football talent, your black scholarship football recruits in the most recent study 2012-2013, have graduated 51 percent given the same 6 years to do so at every other school in the federal DOE 4-year rolling average, latest study.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I notice, troll that you insist upon trying to denigrate GT academically using 7 year old data.  It only srves o prove that:

A.)  You are an idiot who is not capable of reading and understanding the source documents you are quoting.

B.)  You are driven by an internet trolls agenda of ensuring that GT is shown in the poorest light possible.

C.)  You are nowhere near as intelligent as you would love for others to think you are.

You constantly are found to have lies throughout your posts, so you have no credibility.

Furthermore, your insulting of GT fans for not attending GT is the epitome of irony from a uga fan. uga has more "sidewalk" fans in Augusta, GA alone than GT has in the whole state.

Finally, I notice you failed to respond to my challenge of academics.  Do you RELL want to put your uga academic rigor against my USCG academic rigor?  If not, then you need to keep your mouth shut about whether or not I went to GT.  It doesn't matter a bit WHERE I went to school, or where ANYONE went to school.

Also, you can attempt to play the innocent about this being a Jeff Schultz blog, troll, but it doesn't explain the many times you've popped in on a Ken Sugiura blog with your lies and verbal diarrhea.

ThomasBrown at 10:01 a.m. Nov. 3, 2013

. . . I now update my prediction for UGA 2013 to 10-3 with the # 1 Strength of Schedule . . .

Missouri, who has not beat anyone, loses to Texas A and M . . .

FSU remains on the outside looking in.

DawgNole

ThomAss Brown: "Your butt is kind of puckered again, isn't it NoleDawgJacket."

Yeah, been having trouble keeping your nose out of it.

@ThomasBrown

ThomasBrown 5ptsFeatured
5 hours ago

"Latest DOE Federal graduation rate given the same 6 years as every other school."

---

The data from your source documents is from 2003-2007, which is BEFORE CPJ came to GT.

----

"Paul Johnson has coached there 2008-2013.  6 years.

See above argument.

----

"They are given 6 years before the DOE does the survey of each scholarship recruit.  That takes a year"

----

7 year old data needs more than a "takes a year" argument to prove its merit as a snapshot of where the program is now.

----

"You cannot be that stupid that you want now to see Paul Johnson's graduation rates."

----

So, you think trashing GT on data more than half a decade old isn't stupid?

----

"Who gives a flip AugustaNonJacket, sir ?"

----

Apparently, you do.  I continue to point out flaws in your arguments and your reply is always an emotional losing of your temper followed by insults.

----

"He will be gone after next season anyway."

----

Maybe, but it won't be because he wasn't graduating players at a prodigious rate.

----

"The graduation rates of your black scholarship football recruits is 51 percent."

----

Wrong.  It was 51 percent under the former regime more than half a decade ago.  You should really read those source documents before you quote them.

Not good try.

----

You have no room to ever mock GTCaryd again for his grammar after that travesty of a sentence fragment.

----

This sentence is so poorly written I am unsure what exactly you mean.  "to actually graduate the black scholarship football recruit to Georgie tek." I didn't know you went to a school to graduate to the same school.

----

I see no comment by you here AugustaNonJacket sir, that the graduation rates of your black scholarship recruits documented here latest study, at 51 percent, is horrible ?

----

If we were still graduating students, ANY STUDENTS, at 51% I would say it was horrible.  But we are no longer doing that.  As for this "AugustaNonJacket" crap, I will gladly put my academic rigor at the US Coast Guard Academy against your collegiate years any day of the week.  If you want to disassociate me from GT simply because  did not matriculate there, then uga needs to shed most of its fan base and a good bit of these bloggers.  Do you REALLY want to go there?  There is no program you can take at uga that would EVER compare to he academic rig of a Military Academy.

BTW, you will notice I do not troll the uga blogs.  Why would someone who desperately wants to be seen as intelligent, (you), troll the GT blogs?  Grow up and get your facts in order, troll.

DawgNole

Thomas Brown: "You happy now AugustaJacket, who did not attend Georgie tek at all ?  I list 34 games Mark Richt won and all you got is correct this date from 2013 to 2012 please ?

Where is your research you did like this ?  Can't find any other typo but that one ?"

_________________________

Oh stop with your whiny-azz "typo" excuses, ThomAss. YOU LIED and you got caught--AGAIN. It's far from the first time, and unless you stop posting altogether, it sure as hell won't be the last time.

And yes, there were other "typos" (real ones) in your BS post--as there are in virtually every one of your deranged "contributions" to these blogs.

Get off your high horse, you silly twerp, and show some humility for once. Then, and only then, will you have ANY chance of earning a shred of respect/credibility onhere.

gtcaryd

Tommy Boy, do you look like Anthony Perkins by any chance.

DawgNole

Thomas Brown: @Augusta Jacket "Well I am not that way with you sir, and you trashed me with one typo of 1 digit in a summary I researched and typed up of 34 wins by Mark Richt over ranked teams 2012 instead of 2013 . . . ."

________________________

Typo my azz. That's not the first time you lied about the 2013 UGA-Vandy outcome--and not the first time you've been caught in your lie.

Give it up, TB. You've been exposed--again and again and again. You have ZERO credibility on these blogs--thanks to your own lies, distortions, misquotes, ignorance, arrogance, narcissism, dishonesty, hatred, exaggerations, boastfulness, etc., etc., etc.

GTBee
GTBee

Here's my spin the last 4 years; 0-4 vs Miami, 0-4 vs Va Tech and 0-4 vs UGA with 2 consec losses to Clemson. Sit on that and spin!!

Birmingham__Jacket
Birmingham__Jacket

Disagree. What most GT fans dislike is losing to Miami, VT and UGA every year, and inexplicable embarrassments by BYU and Clemson----not PJs perceived attitude (few have spent enough time with him to judge). Also, I would expect that if he were so hard to work with, you would hear more complaining from his ex-players---which you don't.

The offense CAN work for teams that have the personnel to run it. It worked for Nebraska bc of great QBs and a dominant OLine. It worked for us in 2008 with Gailey's players.

What I dislike most about the offense is that most good HS players these days (including Vad Lee) have apparently no interest in playing in the system, which is PART of the reason Johnson's recruiting has underachieved.

If you follow Tech football however, you will understand that our defense, not the offense is to blame for most of our losses the past 6 years.

Birmingham__Jacket
Birmingham__Jacket

Surely you're kidding. Hit the road where? To a luxury retirement? Broadcasting?

I do think if you put him at a unique place like Nebraska, Texas or even LSU, where 90% of all the good high school players tend to stay home, and he had an big upgrade in the roster, his offense could put up some big numbers. But that won't happen based on his current resume.

GTBob
GTBob

@DisgustedFan  He has one of the highest winning percentages in Tech history and the fourth best record in the ACC since he has been here. If any high school coach in the country could do that then Tech must be one of the best programs in the country and we have just had awful coaches for our entire history.

@gtcaryd

Well, based on his observation earlier in the blog that my butt was puckered up, I'd say his head-end is the sniffer. Perhaps he'll offer further insight after getting HIS butt kicked on this blog.

AugustaJacket

@ThomasBrown  So basically, you are ignoring the fact that I proved you are either intentionally lying or are so stupid you cant keep a coherent argument together.  (Probably a mixture of the two)

Still have no answer about why my not going to GT matters?  Still have no answer for how 7 year old data is pertinent to the debate?

I thought not, troll.

MikeBanning
MikeBanning

@slydawg

If that did happen a majority of the UGA's players would transfer, and after 2 or 3 years you'd have the same 1-12 run started in the other direction.

There are enough Academic Qualifiers in the Atl. Area that CMR  would do some serious damage in the ACC if he were GT's HC.

Why do GT fans act as if RECRUITING is separate from coaching?

It is not!

Recruiting is anywhere from 70-80% of what is responsible for a BCS level HC's success.

This isn't Fantasy FB, you can just give CPJ a hypothetical roster, and then judge him, you have to judge him based on who his personality and TALENT is able to recruit.

Tell CPJ to get rid of his jerk mentality and he might recruit better.

@AugustaJacket @ThomasBrown

PaulinNH at 2:45 p.m. Oct. 27, 2013

@DawgNole

gtcaryd

@ThomasBrown Tommy Boy have you been mocking my grammar again? And why are you trolling the tech blogs, I think you are a closet Jacket. Nothing wrong with trying to improve your education though.

@AugustaJacket

"If we were still graduating students, ANY STUDENTS, at 51% I would say it was horrible."

Well, then all you need to do, Mr. AugustaNONjacket, sir, is wait until they come out with the next DOE federal graduation 4-year rolling average report on black scholarship football recruits, put that URL Link to it here for everyone like I just did for the most current one, and hope all of a sudden something changes for your football black scholarship recruits, because right now,

Latest report URL Link provided you are only graduating from Georgie tek half your black football scholarship recruits in the latest DOE federal 4-year rolling report 51 %, as you say.

Choose Georgia Institute of Technology.

Choose Pull-down for latest year 2012-2013.

Click Search :

Here are the results presented latest study :

90 % Your men's golf graduated

88 % Your men's swimming and diving graduated

63 % Your men's tennis graduated

75 % Your men's track and field graduated

53 % Your men's football graduated

This the report 2012-2013, the latest report possible, giving Georgie tek the same 6 years as everyone else.

And, so yes sir, math major 6 years makes it for 2006 scholarship recruits in football to Georgie tek.

This is Georgie tek we're talking about, a school you have never stepped foot in a class at.

ThomasBrown

Your butt is kind of puckered again, isn't it NoleDawgJacket.

DawgNole September 5th, 2012  5:22 pm

DawgNole January 4th, 2013 6:13 pm

DawgNole at 8:00 p.m. Dec. 6, 2013

“True that, TB--then and now.”

DawgNole January 5th, 2013 10:38 pm

_________________________________________________

“You’re the only one who appears to have an issue with that.”

_________________________________________________

Swamp Thing September 3rd, 2012 4:54 pm

“DawgNole (which end is the Dawg and which end is the Nole?)”

@SeminoleDale

Where were you BEFORE the national championship for all these years 2001-2013 SeminoleDale ?

Not once did you ever write post here.

Now, you have graced us all with several such posts as this one.

You have 1 other Nole fan here.

He doesn't like you either, but then again, he is puckered.

@AugustaJacket @ThomasBrown

"Intentionally lying" is a pretty good guess--although "so stupid" isn't by any means a bad one--and yes, he always ignores valid, legitimate, and relevant questions; that's a big part of who his worthless, narcissistic azz is.

@GTBob

You are really delusional GT Bob -- but you love this sorry coach so that is your blinded opinion

GTBob
GTBob

@MikeBanning @slydawg  Mark Richt wouldn't get 1/10th the talent at GT that he gets at UGA. I would love to see how good of a coach he is when 5 star studs aren't covering up his poor coaching ability.

AugustaJacket

@MikeBanning @slydawg  Tell CPJ to get rid of his jerk mentality and he might recruit better

________________________________________________________________

Get rid of your jerk mentality and you might be a better person yourself.

#keeptrolling

@gtcaryd

This is provided on Sports Jeff Schultz blog, which is how I found this blog.  This is not a Georgie tek blog, but a Jeff Shultz blog.  If the AJ-C wanted to write such a blog about football players at Georgie tek just for Georgie tek fans, they would write it on one of those blogs.

Now, why is NonGTcaryd that you spend your days trolling UGA blogs, because by God that is what you do.

In the meantime, what we have found out having an open blog for discussion about Georgie tek football talent, is that

# 52 and # 47 every year in recruiting rankings has provided Georgie tek a 28-25 record the current 4-year period, after the 2007 class provided 9-4 in 2008 and 10-3 in 2009, watered-down by these # 52 and # 47 recruit rankings since at 28-25, and that in the classrooms in football talent, your black scholarship football recruits in the most recent study 2012-2013, have graduated 51 percent given the same 6 years to do so at every other school in the federal DOE 4-year rolling average, latest study.

Choose Georgia Institute of Technology

Choose pull-down for latest year 2012-2013 study

Click Search.

AugustaJacket

@ThomasBrown @AugustaJacket Again.  Your data is 7 years old.  Even though that report is from 2012-13, the data reported is from 2002-2007.  In other words, all the data in that report is from when Gailey was the coach.

Keep trying troll, you're only proving yourself dumber by the minute.

gtcaryd

@ThomasBrown @AugustaJacketAugustaJacket makes you look like the tool you are, just what kind of job can you get with one of those Housing degrees you got.

@ThomasBrown @SeminoleDale

Nah, there's more than two of us on here, TB. Wonder what NoleDale will think of your prediction about FSU's chances of making the BCS title game?

ThomasBrown at 5:35 a.m. Nov. 2, 2013
. . . FSU is so good with # 68 Strength of Schedule that they CANNOT make BCS Title game . . . .

@SupersizeThatOrder-mutt

"most good HS players these days (including Vad Lee) have apparently no interest in playing in the system" and you like that post ?

@GTBob @Football2013@DisgustedFan

Why not????

Got to say that your posts are entertaining in defense of this fool.  But I do enjoy the comic relief you bring as  Tech apologist.

So please keep the posts coming -- its a good read.

GTBob
GTBob

@DisgustedFan @GTBob  Nope, I don't really love CPJ. I just have no reason to believe that Richt would be a good coach without far better talent then almost every team he plays.

gtcaryd

@ThomasBrown Am i "you" or "nor he" you can be a little confusing sometimes Tommy Boy.

@gtcaryd @AugustaJacket

Excuse me, what do you know about it, someone who went there you know ?

In the meantime, AugustaNONjacket and NONgtcaryd, neither went there, and neither has the URL Link to where you click other than

2012-2013 to get the latest 4-year rolling DOE federal grad rate showing clearly to you it is 51 % of black scholarships recruits to Georgie tek Georgie tek graduates in the most recent study.

If they were recruited in 2006, and went to school to a school you neither went to, then 6 years' later would be 2012.

Thus, the URL Link says press 2012-2013.

You, nor he, have refuted a damn thing.